The Greek Chapel, Prevelly

Share this post

Many people have asked about the quaint Greek Chapel adjacent to the Roozen Residence.

Is it used often?

Do we have a large Greek community?

Will we get woken by the service on Sunday?

The answer is no,  it’s hardly ever used except for the occasional wedding.

The story starts with Geoff Edwards who owned a large parcel of land on the coast, 10km from the townsite of Margaret River.

In 1941 Mr. Edwards served with the 2/11th Infantry Battalion in the Battle of Crete.  During the German occupation, he was a prisoner of war, but subsequently escaped and was hidden and cared for by the Monks of Preveli Monastery.

In honour of the people who cared for and protected him, he built the chapel of St John the Theologian, on the hill overlooking the sea on Wallclilffe Road.

In the 1960’s Mr Edwards subdivided the area and the developers named it Prevelly.   Several streets were also named after the families and monks who saved him, Vatos Way and Papadakis Road.

Mr. Edwards was awarded an order of Australia Medal (OAM), on 7th April, 2000, for services to the Greek Community and shortly afterwards, peacefully passed away on 11th April, 2000.

View of Greek Chapel from the Roozen Residence

For further information on accommodation in Margaret River, visit The Roozen Residence.